LTM Enterprise Subscription Revenue Growth of 43%
2016 Operating Cash Flow Improves by $19.8 Million
Fourth Quarter Record Revenue of $44.2 Million
SAN RAMON, CALIF. - February 16, 2017 - Five9, Inc. (NASDAQ:FIVN), a leading provider of cloud software for the enterprise contact center market, today reported results for the fourth quarter and full year ended December 31, 2016.
Fourth Quarter 2016 Financial Results
- Total revenue for the fourth quarter of 2016 increased 23% to a record $44.2 million, compared to $36.0 million for the fourth quarter of 2015.
- GAAP gross margin was 64.3% for the fourth quarter of 2016, compared to 56.6% for the fourth quarter of 2015. Included in the GAAP results for the fourth quarter of 2016 was a reversal of accrued federal fees of $3.1 million following a favorable FCC ruling. This reversal increased the Company’s GAAP gross margin by 7.0 percentage points from 57.3% for the quarter.
- Adjusted gross margin was 61.9% for the fourth quarter of 2016, compared to 61.4% for the fourth quarter of 2015.
- GAAP net income for the fourth quarter of 2016 was $0.4 million, or $0.01 per share, compared to a GAAP net loss of $(3.5) million, or $(0.07) per share, for the fourth quarter of 2015. Excluding the $3.1 million accrual reversal, GAAP net loss for 2016 was $(2.7) million, or $(0.05) per share.
- Non-GAAP net income for the fourth quarter of 2016 was $0.1 million, or $0.00 per share, compared to a non-GAAP net loss of $(1.6) million, or $(0.03) per share, for the fourth quarter of 2015. Fourth quarter of 2016 was the first time the Company reported positive non-GAAP net income.
- Adjusted EBITDA for the fourth quarter of 2016 was $2.9 million, or 6.6% of revenue, compared to $1.2 million, or 3.5% of revenue, for the fourth quarter of 2015.
- GAAP operating cash flow for the fourth quarter of 2016 was $2.8 million, compared to GAAP operating cash outflow of $(0.1) million for the fourth quarter of 2015.
2016 Financial Results
- Total revenue for 2016 increased 26% to $162.1 million, compared to $128.9 million in 2015.
- GAAP gross margin was 58.7% for 2016, compared to 53.8% in 2015. Included in the GAAP results for 2016 was a fourth quarter reversal of accrued federal fees of $3.1 million following a favorable FCC ruling. This reversal increased the Company’s GAAP gross margin by 1.9 percentage points from 56.8% for the year.
- Adjusted gross margin was 61.7% for 2016, compared to 59.1% in 2015.
- GAAP net loss for 2016 was $(11.9) million, or $(0.23) per share, compared to GAAP net loss of $(25.8) million, or $(0.52) per share, in 2015. Excluding the $3.1 million reversal, GAAP net loss for 2016 was $(15.0) million, or $(0.29) per share.
- Non-GAAP net loss for 2016 was $(3.6) million, or $(0.07) per share, compared to non-GAAP net loss of $(16.5) million, or $(0.33) per share, in 2015.
- Adjusted EBITDA for 2016 was $8.4 million, or 5.2% of revenue, compared to a loss of $(5.3) million, or (4.1)% of revenue, in 2015.
- GAAP operating cash flow for 2016 was $6.8 million, compared to a GAAP operating cash outflow of $(12.9) million in 2015.
“Our strong fourth quarter results capped off a record year for Five9. For the year, we grew revenue by 26% to a record $162.1 million. This revenue growth was driven by our faster growing Enterprise business, which delivered 43% growth in LTM Enterprise subscription revenue, and where we saw average deal size increase to approximately $560,000 in annual revenue. I’m also very pleased that we set an all-time record for Enterprise bookings in the fourth quarter and full year. In addition, we continued to enjoy leverage in our business model as we delivered strong improvements to our bottom line, including reaching the new milestone of positive net income in the fourth quarter. We believe our continued execution combined with our differentiated cloud contact center software, positions Five9 extremely well in this large contact center market that is still in the early days of a massive shift to the cloud.”
- Mike Burkland, President and CEO, Five9
- All-time record enterprise bookings for the quarter and the full year
- 2016 average new enterprise deal size of approximately $560,000 in annual revenue, up from an average of $450,000 in 2015
- LTM enterprise subscription revenue grew 43% year-over-year, up from 38% in the year ago period
- LTM enterprise revenue increased to 69% of total revenue, up from 65% in the year ago period
- Annual dollar-based retention rate was 100%, up from 96% in the year ago period
- For the full year 2017, Five9 expects to report:
- Revenue in the range of $187.0 to $190.0 million
- GAAP net loss in the range of $(17.3) to $(20.3) million, or $(0.32) to $(0.38) per share
- Non-GAAP net loss in the range of $(1.5) to $(4.5) million, or $(0.03) to $(0.08) per share
- For the first quarter of 2017, Five9 expects to report:
- Revenue in the range of $44.0 to $45.0 million
- GAAP net loss in the range of $(5.3) to $(6.3) million, or a loss of $(0.10) to $(0.12) per share
- Non-GAAP net loss in the range of $(1.7) to $(2.7) million, or a loss of $(0.03) to $(0.05) per share
Conference Call Details
Five9 will discuss its fourth quarter and full year 2016 results today, February 16, 2017, via teleconference at 4:30 p.m. Eastern Time. To access the call (ID 3153708), please dial: 888-855-5428 or 719-325-2444. An audio replay of the call will be available through March 2, 2017 by dialing 888-203-1112 or 719-457-0820 and entering access code 3153708. A copy of this press release will be furnished to the Securities and Exchange Commission on a Current Report on Form 8-K, and will be posted to our web site, prior to the conference call.
A webcast of the call will be available on the Investor Relations section of the Company’s website at http://investors.five9.com/.
Non-GAAP Financial Measures
In addition to disclosing financial measures prepared in accordance with U.S. generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), this press release and the accompanying tables contain certain non-GAAP financial measures. We calculate adjusted gross profit by adding back the following items to gross profit: depreciation, amortization, and stock-based compensation expenses. We calculate adjusted EBITDA by adding back the following items to net loss: depreciation, amortization, interest expense, income tax expense, stock-based compensation expense, and interest and other, which consists primarily of interest income and foreign exchange gains and losses. We calculate non-GAAP operating income (loss) as operating loss excluding stock-based compensation, amortization of acquisition intangibles and an immaterial one time out of period adjustment for sales taxes. We calculate non-GAAP net loss as net loss excluding stock-based compensation, amortization of acquisition intangibles, extinguishment of debt, amortization of debt discount and issuance costs, and an immaterial one time out of period adjustment for sales taxes. Non-GAAP financial measures do not have any standardized meaning and are therefore unlikely to be comparable to similarly titled measures presented by other companies. Five9 considers these non-GAAP financial measures to be important because they provide useful measures of the operating performance of the Company, exclusive of factors that do not directly affect what we consider to be our core operating performance, as well as unusual events. The Company’s management uses these measures to (i) illustrate underlying trends in the Company’s business that could otherwise be masked by the effect of income or expenses that are excluded from non-GAAP measures, and (ii) establish budgets and operational goals for managing the Company’s business and evaluating its performance. In addition, investors often use similar measures to evaluate the operating performance of a company. Non-GAAP financial measures are presented only as supplemental information for purposes of understanding the Company's operating results. The non-GAAP financial measures should not be considered a substitute for financial information presented in accordance with GAAP. Please see the reconciliation of non-GAAP financial measures set forth herein and attached to this release.
Forward Looking Statements
This news release contains certain forward-looking statements, including the statements in the quote from our Chief Executive Officer, including statements regarding Five9’s market position and contact center market trends, increasing demand for Five9’s solutions, and the first quarter 2017 and full year 2017 financial projections set forth under the caption “Business Outlook,” that are based on our current expectations and involve numerous risks and uncertainties that may cause these forward-looking statements to be inaccurate. Risks that may cause these forward-looking statements to be inaccurate include, among others: (i) our quarterly and annual results may fluctuate significantly, may not fully reflect the underlying performance of our business and may result in decreases in the price of our common stock; (ii) if we are unable to attract new clients or sell additional services and functionality to our existing clients, our revenue and revenue growth will be harmed; (iii) our recent rapid growth may not be indicative of our future growth, and if we continue to grow rapidly, we may fail to manage our growth effectively; (iv) failure to adequately expand our direct sales force will impede our growth; (v) if we fail to manage our technical operations infrastructure, our existing clients may experience service outages, our new clients may experience delays in the deployment of our solution and we could be subject to, among other things, claims for credits or damages; (vi) the markets in which we participate are highly competitive, and if we do not compete effectively, our operating results could be harmed; (vii) if our existing clients terminate their subscriptions or reduce their subscriptions and related usage, our revenues and gross margins will be harmed and we will be required to spend more money to grow our client base; (viii) We sell our solution to larger organizations that require longer sales and implementation cycles and often demand more configuration and integration services or customized features and functions that we may not offer, any of which could delay or prevent these sales and harm our growth rates, business and operating results; (ix) because a significant percentage of our revenue is derived from existing clients, downturns or upturns in new sales will not be immediately reflected in our operating results and may be difficult to discern; (x) we rely on third-party telecommunications and internet service providers to provide our clients and their customers with telecommunication services and connectivity to our cloud contact center software and any failure by these service providers to provide reliable services could subject us to, among other things, claims for credits or damages; (xi) we have a history of losses and we may be unable to achieve or sustain profitability; (xii) we may not be able to secure additional financing on favorable terms, or at all, to meet our future capital needs; and (xiii) the other risks detailed from time-to-time under the caption “Risk Factors” and elsewhere in our Securities and Exchange Commission filings and reports, including, but not limited to, our most recent quarterly report on Form 10-Q. Such forward looking statements speak only as of the date hereof and readers should not unduly rely on such statements. We undertake no obligation to update the information contained in this press release, including in any forward-looking statements.
Five9 is a leading provider of cloud software for the enterprise contact center market, bringing the power of the cloud to thousands of customers and facilitating more than three billion customer interactions annually. Since 2001, Five9 has led the cloud revolution in contact centers, helping organizations transition from legacy premise-based solutions to the cloud. Five9 provides businesses with reliable, secure, compliant, and scalable cloud contact center software designed to create exceptional customer experiences, increase agent productivity, and deliver tangible business results. For more information, visit www.five9.com.
Investor Relations Contact:
Chief Financial Officer
925-201-2000 ext. 5959
The Blueshirt Group for Five9, Inc.
# # #