Privacy Notice for California Candidates
California law requires that we provide you this notice about the collection and use of your personal information. We encourage you to read it carefully.
This Notice is effective as of January 1, 2023 (“Effective Date”).
Five9 is committed to protecting the privacy and security of your personal information. This notice ("Notice") describes the categories of personal information that Five9, Inc. ("company", "we", "us" and "our") collects about California residents who apply or are recruited for a job with us or one of our affiliates ("candidates"), and the purposes for which we use that information.
For purposes of this Notice, "personal information" has the meaning given in the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (the "CCPA"), but excludes information exempted from the CCPA's scope.
Information we collect about candidates
Categories of personal information
The categories of personal information we may collect and process during the application and recruitment process include:
- Contact information, such as home address, telephone number, and email address;
- Information from job application materials or recruiters, such as your job application, resume or CV, cover letter, writing samples, references, work history, education, transcripts, whether you are subject to prior employer obligations, details of how you heard about the position you are applying for, and information that referrers provide about you;
- Professional qualifications, such as licenses, permits, memberships, and certifications;
- Information from the application process, such as any phone-screens, interviews, evaluations and outcomes of recruiting assessments or exercises;
- Immigration status and other information that would allow us to verify your employment eligibility at the appropriate time in the recruiting process, as permitted by law;
- Biographical information, such as name, professional history, references, language proficiencies, education details, and information you make publicly available through job search or career networking sites (e.g., LinkedIn);
- Sensitive personal information, such as any sensitive and/or demographic information processed during the application or recruitment process such as gender, information about your citizenship and/or nationality, medical or health information and/or your racial or ethnic origin;
- Job preferences, such as desired position and compensation, location preferences and willingness to relocate;
- Employment history, including information relating to any previous applications you may have submitted to us and/or any previous employment history with us;
- Background check information, such as reference information and information necessary to complete background, credit, drug/alcohol and/or other checks when permitted by law, and information received during these checks;
- Information needed to understand and assess accommodation requests regarding potential disabilities or other health conditions. This discussion would occur only after an offer of employment is made and accepted;
- Other information you provide to us.
Providing personal information to us is voluntary. However, if you do not provide sufficient information, we may be unable to consider your application or, if you are hired, your subsequent promotion, transfer or relocation.
In certain cases, we may ask you for additional information for purposes of complying with applicable laws. We may also inquire about criminal records. We will do so only where permitted by applicable law.
Sources of personal information
We collect personal information from you when you apply for a job and throughout the job application or recruitment process. We may also collect your personal information from other sources and combine it with the personal information you provide us. For example, we may collect your personal information from:
- Job board websites you may use to apply for a job with us;
- Prior employers that provide us with employment references;
- Professional references that you authorize us to contact;
- Pre-employment screening services, such as background check providers (where permitted by law);
- Employment agencies and recruiters;
- Your educational institutions;
- Publicly available sources, including your public social media profile or other publicly available sources;
- Other company personnel.
- Recruiting or other events where we are a sponsor or participant.
How we use personal information about candidates
Purposes for which we use personal information
We may use the categories of personal information above for the following purposes:
- Recruitment management. Managing recruitment generally, such as:
- operating the careers website that we maintain at www.five9.com or any other site to which this Notice is posted ("Careers Site");
- recruiting, interviewing and evaluating job candidates, including assessing your skills, qualifications and interests against our career opportunities;
- proactively conducting research about your educational and professional background and skills and contacting you if we think you would be suitable for a role with us;
- conducting background checks and other pre-employment screening (where permitted by law);
- where requested by you, assisting you with obtaining an immigration visa or work permit where required;
- analyzing and improving our application and recruitment processes, including improving diversity in recruitment practices;
- accommodating disabilities or health conditions;
- communicating with you regarding your candidacy, opportunities with the company or about the Careers Site and any changes to applicable terms or policies; and
- other business operations.
- As part of our commitment to equal opportunity employment, we may process information regarding your membership in various organizations to support our diversity and inclusion efforts. This may include associating participant membership with sensitive and/or demographic information.
- Compliance, safety and fraud prevention, such as:
- complying with or monitoring compliance with legal and other requirements, such as reporting and equal opportunities monitoring requirements, where applicable
- complying with internal policies and procedures;
- complying with lawful requests and legal process, such as responding to subpoenas or requests from government authorities;
- protecting our, your or others' rights, safety and property, including by complying with applicable local guidelines and requirements;
- investigating and deterring against fraudulent, harmful, unauthorized, unethical or illegal activity, or conduct in violation of our policies or procedures;
- controlling access to and monitoring our physical premises (e.g., by requiring screenings to access offices/facilities); and
- sharing information with government authorities, law enforcement, courts or private parties where we have a good-faith belief it is necessary for the foregoing purposes.
- Analytics. Creating anonymous, aggregated or de-identified data that we use and share to analyze our application and recruitment activities, business and for other lawful business purposes.
Sharing personal information
We may share your personal information with other parties as necessary for the purposes described above. For example, we may share your personal information with:
- Affiliates. Our affiliated entities (e.g., Five9, Inc UK), for purposes consistent with this Notice or to operate shared infrastructure, systems and technology.
- Company service providers. Companies that provide us with services that help us manage the recruiting process and operate our business, such as job boards, recruiters, interviewing and testing, pre-employment screening, interview travel booking and expense reimbursement (where applicable), relocation (where applicable), and recruitment analytics.
- Government authorities, law enforcement and others. Government authorities, law enforcement, courts, and others as described in the compliance, safety and fraud prevention section above.
- Business transfers. Parties to transactions and potential transactions whereby we sell, transfer or otherwise share some or all of our business or assets, including your personal information, such as a corporate divestiture, merger, consolidation, acquisition, reorganization or sale of assets, or in the event of bankruptcy or dissolution.
- Professional advisors. Lawyers, immigration advisors, and other outside professional advisors.
- Employees. If you have been referred for a job with us by a current employee, with your consent, we may inform that employee about the progress of your application and let the employee know the outcome of the process. In some cases, if it is identified that you have attended the same university/school or shared the same previous employer during the same period as a current employee, we may consult with that employee for feedback on you.
How we protect your personal data
We follow strict security procedures as to how your personal data is stored and used, and who sees it, to help stop any unauthorized person(s) from accessing it. Our security policies set out the standards we follow to keep your information secure. When information is kept by other parties providing a service to us, they are expected to adhere to standards set by us and by applicable law.
If you are offered and accept employment with us, the information collected during the application and recruitment process will become part of your employment record. If you apply for a job with us and your application is unsuccessful (or you withdraw from the process or decline our offer), we will retain your information for up to 36 months after your application. We retain this information for various reasons, including in case we face a legal challenge with respect to our recruitment decision, to consider you for other current or future jobs with us and to help us better understand, analyze and improve our recruitment processes.
If you do not want us to retain your information for consideration for other roles, or you want to update you information or limit our use of certain sensitive information, please contact email@example.com. Please note, however, that we may retain some information if required by law or as necessary to protect ourselves from legal claims.
We operate globally, which means your information may be stored and processed outside of the country or region where it was originally collected. In some of these countries, you may have fewer rights with respect to your information than you do in your country of residence. Regardless of where your information is processed, we apply the same protections described in this Notice.
Other information about this Notice
This Notice does not address, and we are not responsible for, the practices of any third parties, which have their own rules for how they collect and use your personal information. Any of our links to third party websites or services are not endorsements.
Changes to this Notice
We reserve the right to change this Notice at any time. The "Effective Date" heading at the top of this Notice indicates when it was last revised. Any changes will become effective when we post the revised notice on our Careers Site.
The Careers Site is not intended for minors under the age of 18.
Among other obligations, including without limitation, the obligation to provide complete and accurate information in recruiting documents and processes, it is your responsibility to ensure that information you submit does not violate any third party's rights. You should keep your personal information on file with the company up to date and inform us of any significant changes to it.