Light The Night with Charity Champion: Wunmi Kamson
This year, our Employee Resource Group for Black, Latinx, and Indigenous individuals, BlatinX, is hosting their marquee fundraiser for Hispanic Heritage Month by supporting the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's (LLS) 2022 Light The Night fundraising walk on October 8th. Light The Night aims to bring light to the darkness of cancer through research, cures, and bringing together communities to celebrate those who are fighting and honor those who have been lost. The fundraiser takes place across the USA and Canada with over 120 locations to choose from.
Our charity champion and Project Manager, Wunmi Kamson, will be leading our team walk in Walnut Creek, CA, as she has been involved with Light The Night since 2009. “I was originally introduced to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) when my son, Calvin, was going through chemo treatment for Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL). The LLS org provides support to patients and family members during challenging times of treatment. My family and I have been campaigning to help raise funds for the Light The Night Walk, via our family team – “Team Calvin,”’ Wunmi says.
Much of Wunmi’s involvement is driven by her passion about the walk and the relentless fight to eradicate blood cancer. “My hope is that someday, very soon, there will be a CURE and no child would have to go through 3+ years of chemo treatment like Calvin did in 2005. I am excited for this year’s campaign and look forward to reaching my goal of $3,000,” Wunmi says. What she finds most rewarding about being involved is relating to the mission, which is to "Cure Leukemia, Lymphoma, Hodgkin’s Disease, Myeloma and improve quality of life for patients and their families.” “I can attest that funds raised from these campaigns go towards a great cause and help save lives. I know because my family lived through it,” Wunmi says.
Each year, Wunmi looks forward to seeing the amount of people and teams that participate walking with their various lanterns lighting up the night—White for Survivors, Red for Supporters, and Yellow in Memory. “It is a beautiful night of coming together towards a common goal, celebrating Survivors and current patients, and remembering loved ones lost to cancer.”
To learn more about the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Light The Night fundraiser, visit www.lightthenight.org or join Five9 by registering for one of our team walks, creating your own, or making a one-time donation below.
- Wunmi’s fundraising page: https://pages.lls.org/ltn/oak/EastBay22/wkamsoniy0
- Join the Walnut Creek Five9 team by clicking the red "Join" button under the "Join Our Team Now" section at the bottom of the page and follow the prompts to join the Five9 team: https://pages.lls.org/ltn/oak/EastBay22/five9
- Make a one-time donation by entering an amount under "Donate Now" and click the red "Donate" button: https://pages.lls.org/ltn/oak/EastBay22/five9
- Create a Five9 team in your area (non-Contra Costa) by clicking the red "Join" button under the "Join Our Team Now" section at the bottom of the page and follow the prompts. During step 3 choose a walk in your area. During step 4 "How will you participate" search for "Five9" in "Join a Team". If "Five9" does not pop up click "Create a Team" (use the name Five9): https://pages.lls.org/ltn/oak/EastBay22/five9
- Walk as an individual by clicking the red "Join" button under the "Join Our Team Now" section at the bottom of the page and follow the prompts. During step 3 choose a walk in your area. During step 4 "How will you participate” click “Walk as an Individual”: https://pages.lls.org/ltn/oak/EastBay22/five9