Q4 LTM Enterprise Subscription Revenue Increased 38% Year-Over-Year
Record Annual Revenue of $128.9 Million, Up 25% Year-Over-Year
SAN RAMON, CALIF. – February 23, 2016 - Five9, Inc. (NASDAQ:FIVN), a leading provider of cloud software for the enterprise contact center market, today reported results for the fourth quarter and fiscal year ended December 31, 2015.
- Q4 revenue increased 27% year-over-year to $36.0 million
- Q4 adjusted gross margin improved by nearly 680 basis points year-over-year to 61.4%
- Achieved positive adjusted EBITDA in Q4 with a nearly 1,900 basis point margin improvement year-over-year
- 2015 average new enterprise deal size of approximately $450,000 in annual recurring revenue, up from an average of $350,000 in 2014
“2015 was an outstanding year for Five9. We finished the year with an exceptional fourth quarter that exceeded our expectations across all key metrics, including achieving positive adjusted EBITDA three quarters earlier than expected. This achievement of delivering solid top line growth while generating increasing operating leverage underscores the strength of our business model. Throughout the year we experienced increasing momentum in our enterprise business as evidenced by 38% growth in our enterprise subscription revenue and an average new enterprise deal size of approximately $450,000 in annual recurring revenue. We believe cloud penetration in the enterprise market is accelerating due to an increasing push towards modernization, which includes a shift to the cloud for both CRM solutions like Salesforce.com and Oracle, as well as contact center solutions like Five9. Given our strong position in the market, Five9 is well positioned to benefit from these growth catalysts in 2016 and beyond.”
- Mike Burkland, President and CEO, Five9
Fourth Quarter 2015 Financial Results
- Total revenue for the fourth quarter of 2015 increased 27% to $36.0 million compared to $28.3 million for the fourth quarter of 2014.
- Annual dollar-based retention rate for the period ended December 31, 2015 was 96%.
- GAAP gross margin was 56.6% in the fourth quarter of 2015 compared to 48.6% for the same period in 2014.
- Adjusted gross margin was 61.4% for the fourth quarter of 2015 compared to 54.6% for the same period in 2014.
- Adjusted EBITDA for the fourth quarter of 2015 was $1.2 million, or 3.5% of revenue, compared to a loss of $(4.3) million, or (15.3)% of revenue, for the fourth quarter of 2014.
- GAAP net loss for the fourth quarter of 2015 was $(3.5) million, or $(0.07) per share, compared to a GAAP net loss of $(9.4) million, or $(0.19) per share, for the fourth quarter of 2014.
- Non-GAAP net loss for the fourth quarter of 2015 was $(1.6) million, or $(0.03) per share, compared to a non-GAAP net loss of $(6.8) million, or $(0.14) per share, for the fourth quarter of 2014.
A reconciliation of the non-GAAP financial measures to their related GAAP financial measures is set forth in the tables attached to this release.
2015 Financial Results
- Total revenue for 2015 increased 25% to $128.9 million, compared to $103.1 million in 2014.
- GAAP gross margin was 53.8% for 2015, compared to 47.0% for the prior year.
- Adjusted gross margin was 59.1% for 2015, compared to 52.7% for the prior year.
- Adjusted EBITDA for 2015 was a loss of $(5.3) million, compared to a loss of $(22.7) million in 2014.
- GAAP net loss for 2015 was $(25.8) million, or $(0.52) per share, compared to GAAP net loss of $(37.8) million, or $(1.00) per diluted share, in 2014.
- Non-GAAP net loss for 2015 was $(16.5) million, or $(0.33) per share, compared to non-GAAP net loss of $(32.3) million, or $(0.86) per diluted share, in 2014.
- For the full year 2016, Five9 expects to report:
- Revenue in the range of $148 to $151 million
- GAAP net loss in the range of $(20.1) to $(23.1) million, or a loss of $(0.39) to $(0.44) per share
- Non-GAAP net loss in the range of $(11.0) to $(14.0) million, or $(0.21) to $(0.27) per share
- For the first quarter of 2016, Five9 expects to report:
- Revenue in the range of $35.5 to $36.5 million
- GAAP net loss in the range of $(5.4) to $(6.4) million, or a loss of $(0.10) to $(0.12) per share
- Non-GAAP net loss in the range of $(3.2) to $(4.2) million, or a loss of $(0.06) to $(0.08) per share
Conference Call Details
Five9 will discuss its fourth quarter and fiscal year 2015 results today, February 23, 2016, via teleconference at 4:30 p.m. Eastern Time. To access the call (ID 1501564), please dial: 800-817-8873 or 719-325-2492. An audio replay of the call will be available through March 8, 2016 by dialing 888-203-1112 or 719-457-0820 and entering access code 1501564. A copy of this press release will be furnished to the Securities and Exchange Commission on a Current Report on Form 8-K, and will be posted to our web site, prior to the conference call.
A webcast of the call will be available on the Investor Relations section of the Company’s website at http://investors.five9.com/.
Non-GAAP Financial Measures
In addition to disclosing financial measures prepared in accordance with U.S. generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), this press release and the accompanying tables contain certain non-GAAP financial measures. Non-GAAP financial measures do not have any standardized meaning and are therefore unlikely to be comparable to similarly titled measures presented by other companies. Five9 considers these non-GAAP financial measures to be important because they provide useful measures of the operating performance of the company, exclusive of unusual events, as well as factors that do not directly affect what we consider to be our core operating performance. The company’s management uses these measures to (i) illustrate underlying trends in the company’s business that could otherwise be masked by the effect of income or expenses that are excluded from non-GAAP measures, and (ii) establish budgets and operational goals for managing the company’s business and evaluating its performance. In addition, investors often use similar measures to evaluate the operating performance of a company. Non-GAAP financial measures are presented for supplemental informational purposes only for understanding the company's operating results. The non-GAAP financial measures should not be considered a substitute for financial information presented in accordance with GAAP. Please see the reconciliation of non-GAAP financial measures to the most directly comparable GAAP measure attached to this release.
Forward Looking Statements
This news release contains certain forward-looking statements, including the statements in the quote from our Chief Executive Officer, including statements regarding the enterprise shift to the cloud for CRM and contact center solutions and Five9’s market position, and the first quarter 2016 and full year 2016 financial projections set forth under the caption “Business Outlook,” that are based on our current expectations and involve numerous risks and uncertainties that may cause these forward-looking statements to be inaccurate. Risks that may cause these forward-looking statements to be inaccurate include, among others: (i) our quarterly and annual results may fluctuate significantly, may not fully reflect the underlying performance of our business and may result in decreases in the price of our common stock; (ii) we may be unable to attract new clients or sell additional services and functionality to our existing clients or could experience a reduction in seats or revenues from existing clients; (iii) our recent rapid growth may not be indicative of our future growth and we may fail to manage our growth effectively; (iv) the markets in which we participate are highly competitive and we may be unable to compete effectively; (v) we may be unable to manage our technical operations infrastructure, which could cause our existing clients to experience service outages, cause our new clients to experience delays in the deployment of our solution and subject us to, among other things, claims for credits or damages; (vi) a decline in our dollar-based retention rate could cause our revenues and gross margins to decrease and our net loss to increase and we may be required to spend more money to grow our client base to maintain our revenues; (vii) sales of our solutions to larger organizations may require longer sales and implementation cycles and we may be unable to offer the configuration and integration services or customized features and functions required by larger organizations, which could delay or prevent sales of our solution to them; (viii) downturns or upturns in new sales will not be immediately reflected in our operating results and may be difficult to discern; (ix) third-party telecommunications and internet service providers on which we rely may fail to provide our clients and their customers with reliable telecommunication services and connectivity to our cloud contact center software; (x) we may be unable to achieve or sustain profitability, including on an adjusted EBITDA basis ; (xi) we may be unable to secure additional financing on favorable terms, or at all, to meet our future capital needs; and (xii) the other risks detailed from time-to-time under the caption “Risk Factors” and elsewhere in our Securities and Exchange Commission filings and reports, including, but not limited to, our most recent quarterly report on Form 10-Q. Such forward looking statements speak only as of the date hereof and readers should not unduly rely on such statements. We undertake no obligation to update the information contained in this press release, including in any forward-looking statements.
Five9 is a leading provider of cloud software for the enterprise contact center market, bringing the power of the cloud to thousands of customers and facilitating approximately three billion customer interactions annually. Since 2001, Five9 has led the cloud revolution in contact centers, helping organizations transition from legacy premise-based solutions to the cloud. Five9 provides businesses with reliable, secure, compliant, and scalable cloud contact center software designed to create exceptional customer experiences, increase agent productivity and deliver tangible business results. For more information visit www.five9.com.
Investor Relations Contact:
Chief Financial Officer
925-201-2000 ext. 5959
The Blueshirt Group for Five9, Inc.